nafex - Re: [NAFEX] FW: Wasps, Roses Team Up Against Bad Bugs

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] FW: Wasps, Roses Team Up Against Bad Bugs
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:38:12 -0700

> Roses--the wild, multifloral kind--are the centerpiece of small gardens
> that ARS and Washington State University (WSU) scientists are planting
> around orchards to bolster spring populations of the parasitic wasp,
> Colypoclypeus florus.

Reading the full article mentioned in Lon's posting, I found that although
Rosa multiflora is mentioned more prominently, the first rose that was found
to be hosting the wasp's prey was our friend R. woodsii, the native with
very tasty hips. The researchers are investigating many other rose species
too.

-Rick

still chopping up downed trees, still snowed in. In W. Oregon????