nafex - [NAFEX] spring grafting

  • From: Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] spring grafting
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:46:28 -0500

I have a few Bud9 apple trees going into 2nd leaf which I would like to graft over to other varieties. I have done cleft grafting on larger trees but I am leery of doing this on so small a tree. Another option is to do whip and tongue grafts on all the branches, "topwork" the tree so to speak. A third option, which was recently recommended to me, is to bud graft the trees over in spring, a method I am not familiar with. My fourth option is to wait and bud graft the trees in late summer. Are there are any recommendations out there? I am relatively new to grafting and apple tree growing, and I don't want to mess up my poor little trees!

Jason MacArthur
Marlboro, Vt
Zone 4b

  • [NAFEX] spring grafting, Jason MacArthur, 01/07/2004