nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Blackberries in Northern Minnesota

  • From: "gorgon zolla" <lazolla@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Blackberries in Northern Minnesota
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:18:30 -0500

We have not had good results growing commercial blackberry and black raspberry cultivars in southern Minnesota, despite the presence of wild black raspberries in the area. As you point out, they are native in the Brainard area. I have seen them as far north as Bemidji. These wild varieties are low yielding and have small fruit size, but the culinary quality is extremely high. As is often the case with wild grown fruit, the flavor seems more concentrated due to the small size of each fruit.

While we have had a few crops of blackberries, the canes are prone to disease and crop irregularly.

Steve Dunlop
Nerstrand, MN
Z4

The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

  • [NAFEX] Re: Blackberries in Northern Minnesota, gorgon zolla, 01/07/2004