nafex - [NAFEX] RE: European Pears which store well

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: European Pears which store well
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 05:18:07 -0500

Ray, you wrote--------

Am looking for a list of European pears that will store for a longer
period of time say a couple of months in the refrigerator. I had 6
different kinds from local nurseries and they did not store more than a
couple of weeks, then ripened right in the ref. and any grafts I have put
on are too young,have not produced yet. Where are scions available for
longer storage types?
What method is used to determine when a pear should be picked so it will
store longer and can any be tree ripened? Any help would be appreciated.

My response---------

Of those which I'm familiar with, Harrow Sweet, Blake's Pride and the
soon-to-be-
released Shenandoah will store for up to 4 months if picked at the proper
time.
For long term storage of any european type, they must be picked when the
fruit
begins to soften a bit near the stem end. Or simply start checking them
once per
week a few days prior to "advertised or published" maturity dates. To check
them simply use your thumb or finger to press the fruit near the stem. When
slight "give" occurs harvest immediately. And for reasons unknown, maturity
will vary like crazy from year to year.
Immediately after harvest place them in your refrigerator in perferated
plastic
bags and set the thermostat to its lowest temperature (mid 30s if possible)
for
at least 10 days. Bring them out to ripen at room temperature as you need
them.
I've held Magness for three months by doing this.
As far as scion availability, Harrow Sweet is still under patent I think.
The
others are available but I don't where you might get them. Richard Belle
(of USDA and
looks at this list) may respond with sources.

Hope this helps and I hope you all have a most successful 2004.

Ed, Southern Ohio, doin' okay.

  • [NAFEX] Pinova Apple, Ray Kaminski, 01/01/2004
    • [NAFEX] RE: European Pears which store well, Ed Fackler, 01/02/2004