nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry wine / purple ceiling

  • From: "Kristina & Bruce" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry wine / purple ceiling
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:32:19 -0500

The pail isn't needed if pulp and skins and whatever is already removed from
the juice. The way to handle rapid fermentation in a carboy is to get a 6 ft
length of plastic hose that tightly fits into the the carboy opening. Put
the other end in a bucket with a few inches of water. Winemakers can get
away with open containers by using sulfur to zap whatever gets in, but
beermakers can only cross their fingers and hope. I try to avoid using the
pail whenever possible.
Bruce Wittchen
1/2 mile outside Hartford, CT

Tom wrote:

>The mistake was having the primary fermentation in a stoppered container.
>Allow the primary
>fermentation to happed in an open pail, with loose lid, or cheesecloth
>covering. After the initial
>rapid fermentation settles down you can siphon it into a carboy with a
>fermentation lock.
>
>This should cure the purple spots on the ceiling.
>
>Later,
>Tom
>
>Hector Black wrote:
>
>> Yes, we've made blueberry wine with very few changes. The main problem is
>> that we put it straight into the glass jug and the fermentation was so
>> rapid
>> that it popped the bubbler on top and decorated our living room ceiling
>> with
>> some interesting purple spots. I guess most anything would work as long as
>> you leave plenty of room in the jug for rapid fermentation, or do that part
>> in some kind of open container and siphon it into the jug later. Works
>> will
>> with grapes. Muscadine grapes seem to change flavor and not so nice as a
>> wine after the steam juicer. Same thing happened with mulberries.. Hector

Free Poetry Contest. Win $10,000. Submit your poem @ Poetry.com!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6750922;3807821;l?http://www.poetry.com/contest/contest.asp?Suite=A59101

  • Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry wine / purple ceiling, Kristina & Bruce, 12/20/2003