nafex - RE: [NAFEX] 'simmon leather and Donna's drying secrets

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] 'simmon leather and Donna's drying secrets
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 09:56:39 -0600

<nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> =====
>Can this be "published again - OI seem to have missed both donna's deal as
>well as the leather recipe.

Peter,
Not having a dehydrator - yet- I do persimmon leather by pulping out a bunch
of persimmons(D.virginiana), then spreading a layer of plastic wrap over a
cooking sheet, spread the persimmon pulp evenly over the surface of the
plastic wrap, then stick in the oven overnight at 170 degrees.
When done, you can peel it right off the plastic wrap, then cut into strips
and stick in your choice of storage receptacles - but I wouldn't make it
airtight, as there may still be enough moisture to support mold growth, until
the leather has a chance to fully dry out.

Lucky