nafex - Re: [NAFEX] basic question time

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] basic question time
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:58:37 -0500

Rob, I asked a similar question here a couple of years ago - nobody was
able to give a definative answer to: what is a crabapple? - - small and
astringent are commonly mentioned, but there are small varieties like
'Chestnut crab' and 'Lady' which are not astringent, and large varieties
that are -
crabapples are used in breeding programs - - Malus floribunda is the source
of scab resistance in the PRI breeding program -
I am interested in the crabapple you mention (...a little smaller than a
Granny Smith...) - what variety was that?
if you like, I would forward the 2001 discussion to you - -