nafex - [NAFEX] Vic's 'Hampshire Red'

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Vic's 'Hampshire Red'
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:19:23 -0600

I knew Victoria had emailed me some info on the fruit from her Hampshire Red selection in the last couple of days, but for whatever reason, I couldn't find it until now:

"I do have 'Hampshire Red', my seedling, however, while I have access to
Hampshire, I have not grafted or grown it yet. It is patented by Eric
Leadbeater of Gould Hill Orchard with whom we visited this summer during
the NAFEX meeting.
The Hampshire Red bloomed on the original tree in
2002 and on a 2001 Bud 9 graft this year. This tree produced two small
fruit, not crabs, conical apples about the size in weight at least, as
'Lady' apple. The flesh was a mottled red and yellow, flavor a nice
sprightly taste. If I had them, I could not keep a pocket full for long!"

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

  • [NAFEX] Vic's 'Hampshire Red', Lucky Pittman, 12/02/2003