nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Thornless Blackberries

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Thornless Blackberries
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:10:30 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Thornless Blackberries
In your climate you should wait until spring.  If you prune before winter and there is serious cold that damages them, you have nothing left.  Leaving them unpruned for now means you have more to choose from if there is winter damage to remove.
   Blackberries propagate by tip layering and by suckers from the roots.  You can avoid suckering by mulching instead of cultivating.  Most suckers only arise when roots are cut during cultivating.  Some of the old thornless blackberries would prouce thorny suckers, and the only way to propagate thornless plants was by layering.  A lot of the newer thornless don't produce thorny suckers, though.

I have several plants(2nd year)which I  planted along
my house in the most sheltered area I have. I didnt
cut them back last year-just mulched them well. This
year, the plants really shot out, vining up onto my
roof! Questions: should I prune them back? If so, now
or in the spring? Also, how do they spread? Your
suggestions will be appreciated
Kevin McCrindle, Waterloo, IA Zone 4b