nafex - Re: [NAFEX] root control bags or pots

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] root control bags or pots
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:45:38 -0500

Hi,

I have some apple trees in;

  • 25 gallon utility tub
  • 2 gallon pots
  • planting holes lined with heavy plastic (about 30 gallon size)
All grow much slower than trees normally planted in the earth.  The smaller the pot, the slower the growth, but I would expect fruit is severely postponed as well.

I only keep them in small pots until grafting, then move them up.

Later,
Tom

Lucky Pittman wrote:

At 08:53 PM 11/18/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>  Has anyone used the pots for dwarfing or general long
>term growth control?

Haven't used these, but several nurseries (Forrest Keeling Nursery in
Elsberry, MO & Possibility Place Nursery, in the Chicago area are two I'm
familiar with - and I think Starks is using this on some of their nut tree
offerings - which are probably being grown by the FKN folks) are using this
'rootmaker' technology, not necessarily for dwarfing, but for increased
transplant survival rates - particularly with strongly taprooted species,
and there's a mounting bank of evidence that suggests that root pruning and
development of a fibrous root system(increased root:shoot ration) may also
induce earlier fruiting.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY