nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pine Needle Myth

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pine Needle Myth
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:19:28 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Pine Needle Myth

From the responses, the pine needle myth is VERY wide-spread.  People who should know better are spreading it and old ideas die hard.

I admit I have no idea as to whether or not I acidified the soil around my blueberries by mulching with pine straw. But the desired effect was acheived, ie better blueberries, worse grass.
I see grass doing poorly under a thick mulch of pine needles all the time.
It  might be that the Vaccinium mycorhizal associates do better with pine straw.
I know some very experienced gardeners who swear that non-conifer chips are death to Rhodies (another heather family member) because of fungal problems.
And I've heard rumours of recent work showing that non-conifer woody material is better in a vegetable garden situation.
I'm just paying attention to what works.

-Rick