nafex - [NAFEX] pH of litter

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pH of litter
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:15:37 -0400

My understanding is that the pH of the litter strongly reflects that of the parent material in the area.  Oaks tend to be very deep rooted so this occurs more so with them.  I live in a calcareous area (limestone parent material) so the oak litter is alkaline.  I've seen pine litter measure 7+ too in this area, especially in the river flood plain where alkalinity seems to be the rule around here.  However, most areas are not alkaline like here and are either mildly or strongly acidic, in acidic areas, the trees pump up the acidity from below and reflect it in their litter.  Hope that helps.

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI zone 5b