nafex - [NAFEX] starting Pears

  • From: Rondi <dee@mokalive.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] starting Pears
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:18:36 -0500

Hi,

This summer I've kept my eye open for old pear trees that as winter comes I
would introduce myself to their owners and to attempt to get cuttings. Then
it dawned on me that maybe they could be healed in and possibly started from
cuttings. Can they?

One of my goals with the pears is to grow them on rootstock that has been
proven to handle our climate here in SE Kansas; humid, hot and late summer
drought. So the next question is what is the likelihood of these 40, 50 and
60 (I believe) year old trees of being grafted? Are there other ways to use
the trees as root stock?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rondi