nafex - [NAFEX] Figs for zone 3?

  • From: Jim F <bonfire58_2000@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Figs for zone 3?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 04:18:00 -0700 (PDT)

     We folks who live in the countryside can grow tender perenniels by employing one simple technique.  I live in North Central Minnesota and grow Boysenberry, Rosemary, Hardy Chicago Figs and more.  I grow these in a raised bed atop my septic tank; it never freezes and, if mulched sufficiently, keeps the ground above (and around) it from freezing.  For keeping evergreen plants, such as Rosemary, over the winter, I put a large nursery can, upsidedown, upon it - nursery cans have holes for breathing.  Then I cover everything with pine needles - needles have sufficient porosity so plants can breathe.  A layer of leaves tops the whole pile - a 1" layer of leaves holds the heat in.  My fig grows too tall to be conveniently covered so I let it die back to ground level every year.  One word of caution though:  Don't plant on the ends of the tank because roots will plug the inlet/outlet.  Planting on the side of the tank is safer but caution must be takes to not plant anything that has invasive roots that might grow around to the ends of the tank.
Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [NAFEX] Figs for zone 3?, Jim F, 10/13/2003