nafex - [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 9, Issue 14

  • From: rmelrose@bluemoo.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 9, Issue 14
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:56:01 -0400 (EDT)

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri Oct 10 12:55:47 2003
> From: ernestplutko@netscape.net
> Subject: [NAFEX] Ure pear zone 3
> To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>
> I have planted Ure pear near Baudette, Mn on three occasions but the pear
> trees always died the first winter. Anyone have luck with Ure in zone 3?
>

> Message: 11
> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:45:24 -0600
> From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ure pear zone 3
> To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
>
> The Ure pear has been hardy for me for 2 years now, even under very
> stressful conditions of drought and grasshoppers eating almost all the
> leaves. The pear Early Gold, an open pollinated seedling of Ure, is
> supposedly a bit hardier, a bit better quality, and less susceptible to
> iron
> chlorosis, has also been hardy at my site.
>
> Dean Kreutzer
> Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
> USDA zone 2/3

I had not heard of `Early Gold'; it sounds interesting. Ure has done
reasonably well here in Vermont on the USDA 4a/3b border although I have
some problems with what may be chlorosis (for instance leaves colouring and
dropping early). Does anyone know whether EG it is available from someone on
this side of the border (or from someone in Canada who will export it)?

--
Richard Melrose

  • [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 9, Issue 14, rmelrose, 10/10/2003