nafex - [NAFEX] raspberry trial report/ bucket

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] raspberry trial report/ bucket
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 22:25:23 +0000

Autumn Bliss: Because our first hard frost last night (Sept.30) was 2 to 3 weeks late - I got to get a 90 percent harvest from these. That was the first time in 5 years I have gotten over 50 percent before they are finished by frost.What a treat!
Polana: 2nd year: What a nice big flavorful berry. Later than bliss, so I got 50 percent of them before this frost, but no hope for normal years here.
K 81 6: 2nd year: 5 foot stalks, not a berry
Killarney: 2nd year: same result as K 81 6
Summit: 2nd year: 3 foot canes, abundant small berries. Not as flavorful as autumn bliss. It seemed more intollerant than bliss of drought stress. Average taste.
Caroline: 2nd year: Nice big tasty berries, harvested half of them, but too late for normal years here.
Pathfinder:1st year: Only 3 leafed out of the 10 I bought last spring, small plant and berry, seems about same season as autumn bliss, will give it another year.
Boyne: Certainly a common hardy floricane berry in these parts, very disappointing harvest of small berries this year.
I'll be taking out most of these. If any one is interested in a few of the above plants for a somewhat warmer area, contact me off-list.
Berry picking bucket: My personal favorite I made from a gallon ice cream pail, cut in 2 (the part I used is a little over half, perhaps 5/8) screwed a back of thin plywood into the cut opening, attach a soft cotton rope through 2 holes in the bucket, The advantage over just hanging a bucket on the neck - is that the flat back stays put flat against the chest.
We are zone 2/3, heavy soil, south facing. Last winter was dry, and a low of -35F. This summer had to sprinkle irrigate 3 weeks.
Del Stubbs N. Minnesota