nafex - [NAFEX] PawPaw grafting

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] PawPaw grafting
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:00:17 -0400

I've been meaning to write an short article for the Pomona but
haven't gotten to it. I believe I wrote an article a few
years back regarding PawPaw grafting and kind of described it
as "easy", which it basically is, but experience has taught me
a few caveats.

Phil, you have all the basics down for Pawpaw grafting (I use
Whip & Tongue rather than a simple whip graft, but that's just
a matter of preference.) But here's my caveats:

1) Do not graft to overly thin or weak growing stock. A graft
that would likely take for a small diameter apple graft will
more likely fail for pawpaw.

2) For w&t grafting I generally use a grafting rubber (or
rubber band) covered by parafilm. Pawpaws will readily graft
with such a regime, but the graft will not expand under the
wrapping. So you can get a situation where both below and
above the graft the tree has doubled its diameter, but the
graft area is the size it was when you wrapped it. You either
need to remove the graft covering earlier (I generally have
waited until August to remove graft coverings) or stake the graft area (see
caveat #3). Once the wrapping is removed the
graft will swiftly swell to the size of the rest of the tree.

3) Until the graft is unwrapped and 'settled' I would stake
the graft to a stick attached above and below the graft. I
have lost a number of grafts that appeared to be quite
successful takes to breakage before the wrappings were
removed.

Good luck!

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation

>Here is my understanding of pawpaw grafting from reading and >what others
>have told me:
>1) collect dormant graftwood in winter
>2) wait until leaves are pushing in spring
>3) whip graft
>I am intending to try this out on some root suckers I dug up >this spring
>that came from a native tree from the Sabine >River bottom donated to me by
>John Harrington. Do I have >this right?

>I germinated some seeds this spring with no problem. All >germinated. The
>root suckers I dug up in February came from >John's yard and every one
>lived. I dug up three clumps for a >total of about a dozen trees. Each
>clump had a goodly amount >of dirt around the roots.
>Phil in Beaumont, TX 77707

  • [NAFEX] PawPaw grafting, Mauch1, 10/01/2003