nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Glowing Heart Apple - Fred Janson

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <bnikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Glowing Heart Apple - Fred Janson
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:09:57 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Tom,
I grow it topworked in zone 3 here in Edmonton. I got the original
wood from Fred Janson several years ago. It is very tender for me here, and
often dies back, even topworked onto hardy stembuilders. It has never yet
fruited for me, which is very strange, despite being grafted for about 6 or
7 years. I did taste it at Freds place several years ago. It is tart,
early (early Sept. maturity) and the colour of a beet both inside and
outside. It is certainly not "pink with a white flesh". It is solid, deep,
beet purple all the way through. A friend in New Brunswick also topworked
it, and had his first crop this year. It seems fully hardy for him in zone
5, and he says it is also beet purple all the way through, tart, and early
maturity.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta zone 3
great fall to date, only one slight killing frost so far a couple of days ago