nafex - [NAFEX] Hec sez...

  • From: fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hec sez...
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:47:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hector wrote:

They are not mush, but it an apple that tends towards the mealy side
In April. It's quite hard earlier but flavorful all along.

My reply:

Hmmm…okay you have a whole lot of experience that I respect, so…

Can you describe the flavor…what is it most akin to. Here is the thing,
spending part of my youth in Arkansas I remember the old timers singing their
praises…well you know what the opinion is these days…something just is not
quite right. So I would really like to hear your description. Do you ever
eat them out of hand?

Tastes vary, for example “we” like Bramley’s Seedling for eating out of hand,
and they never will last long enough in our house to find out what the oven
or stove top is like; that experience makes me realize that most people have
rather prejudice taste buds. They have a thought or experience of what an
apple should taste like and judge everything against that ideal rather than
accepting each apple for its own merits.

Hector also wrote:

They don't pick them here till Oct. Garage is attached to Kitchen with
Lots of traffic. We shut the garage door when it gets down towards zero F.

My reply:

So I take it you basically are storing them in a rather warn environment?
Do you have any idea what the temperature is in Oct, Nov in your garage?

Hector wrote:

Only problem last winter was some durn critter unwrapped and ate our half
bushel before we got to them. Never left a core or piece of peel so I
suspect it took them out of the building.

My reply:

Yes I did. By the way, it wasn’t a “durn critter” it was a “fluffy bunny”
thank you. I heard someone was kind enough to leave their garage open, and
they stocked it with delicious home grown apples, and they put the apples in
convenient carrying containers to boot…LOL!!!

All the best,

The fluffy one

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====