nafex - Re: [NAFEX] (No Subject)

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: "mrtejas@lycos.com, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] (No Subject)
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:11:30 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] (No Subject)
Are you sure your neighbor has true Bradford?  Pure P. calleryana has fruit not much larger than a pea that are quite hard.  Sounds like the neighbor tree may be a hybrid of some sort.  If you want to use the seed, just clean it and put it in moist peat, in a bag, in the refrigerator.  After a month or so start checking for sprouting.  When you see small white roots emerge, it's time to pot the seed and grow the seedlings until you can set them out.   Or just go dig some root pieces of the old tree.  Plant them with the basal end (end that had been closest to the parent tree) right at the surface.  It should sucker and give you a small tree by year's end, larger than a seedling would be.
-Lon Rombough