nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Alpine Strawberry

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Alpine Strawberry
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:30:36 -0400

An update on my strawberries. They are terrific, now that I've learned how to grow them, desppite not being in the alps. It seems that alpine strawberries (or at least, the ones I grow) don't develop much flavor or sugar until they are very very ripe. I was picking them when they had just turned red, or mostly red. This was what I'd learned to do with ordinary strawberries, which taste okay when picked a little early. I do this because if I leave a nearly ripe strawberry for a day, it won't be there when I get back. (Chipmunks, I think.)

Anyway, I gave up on the alpine strawberries because they were so disappointing, but I didn't bother to pull out the plants, which are rather attractively edging the bed with the currants. One day I noticed that there several strawberries just sitting there, some VERY ripe. I picked them, and WOW!!! They are very soft, very sweet, and have a rich, aromatic flavor, like pineapple and strawberry and mango all rolled into one tiny fruit. The nearly ripe ones still taste pretty blah.

For whatever reason, the animals don't bother the alpine strawberries in my garden. Maybe they haven't noticed the little fruits lurking under the leaves, or maybe they were discouraged by "blah" under-ripe fruits. Now, every few days I peak and see if anything if fully red. If it is, and it falls off in my hand, I eat it. If it's just very red, I leave it on the bush. I can't say the plants produce much volume of fruit, but what fruit they produce is well worth it - and they are still an attractive edging plant.

Ginda