nafex - [NAFEX] PawPaw grafting

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] PawPaw grafting
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:54:52 -0500

Here is my understanding of pawpaw grafting from reading and what others have
told me:
1) collect dormant graftwood in winter
2) wait until leaves are pushing in spring
3) whip graft
I am intending to try this out on some root suckers I dug up this spring that
came from a native tree from the Sabine River bottom donated to me by John
Harrington. Do I have this right?

I germinated some seeds this spring with no problem. All germinated. The
root suckers I dug up in February came from John's yard and every one lived.
I dug up three clumps for a total of about a dozen trees. Each clump had a
goodly amount of dirt around the roots.
Phil in Beaumont, TX 77707