nafex - [NAFEX] Asian pear--Zone 4 recommendations

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Asian pear--Zone 4 recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:00:39 -0400

Since my first NAFEX meeting at Clemson years ago, folks have stressed pears
as easier to manage than apples. With all the rain this year, our pears and
apples have done very well, but most of the apples have flyspeck and sooty
blotch, yet most pears have perfect finish here in Zone 6. Hence I continue
to be impressed with pears, both Asian and European.

In correspondence with a NAFEX member, question has been asked:
Which Asian pears will survive and thrive in cold Zone 4 Wisconsin?
I've read Ya Li and Seuri are very cold hardy; anyone growing these (or
others) in Zone 4 and can give recommendations?

Thanks much,
Richard Moyer
East Tenn
Pawpaw-pear ice cream tonight