nafex - [NAFEX] sapwood/ cambium

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] sapwood/ cambium
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 03:59:42 +0000

I am pondering the death of a young apricot tree due to vole girdling
And I am seeing the 5" by 25' tall aspen on the edge of the orchard that I girdled in mid May with a knife - I took off all bark in a 6" section - yet the top of it looks just as good and healthy as its neighbors.
I figure it is likely a rootsprout / clonal tree.
In my ignorance all I can presume is that the roots can't be killed by this girdling (since they have many other trees)
And the top msut be fed by the sapwood only.
So......Is cambium not needed for the top of a tree?
Del

Get MSN 8 and help protect your children with advanced parental controls. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental

  • [NAFEX] sapwood/ cambium, del stubbs, 08/28/2003