nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry disease hosts?

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Raspberry disease hosts?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:10:41 +0000

Jewelweed would be growing in shadier part of the berry patch, especially if the soil is sandy or otherwise dry; cane diseases would tend to be stronger there. If soil is wetter there, in a full-sun patch, then the jewelweed is sucking resources away from the nearby canes, even if they look more vigorous. Jewelweed is vigorous, leafy, competing w/ the nearby canes for light & water, and reducing airflow, helping diseases do better.

Any other ideas out there ?

Tanis Cuff, s.WI, where the jewelweed AND raspberries are always weedy.