nafex - [NAFEX] Bee Bites

  • From: Ray Kaminski <rjkaminski@charter.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Bee Bites
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:42:22 -0500

When I was a young boy, working on the farm, it was haying time and was pitching the hay away from the hay loader on the wagon. All of a sudden the hay loader picked up a swarm of honey bees and they attacked me, cause we suspect the queen bee came after me. My dad was on the front of the wagon and never got a bite. I jumped from the wagon and ran for dear life to a near-by pond across the field ,hopped over a fence and dove into the water. As I ran, I was scooping hand full of bees from my head and face and got bit all over my head. When I got back to the house my mother immediately grabbed a jug of vinegar and doused my head, hair, face and all exposed areas where I was bit. It was painful from the start in the tight skin on the top of the head but the vinegar makes it burn momentarily and in a few minutes the pain is gone and the swelling never occurs.
We raised four children and often would get stung by wasps or bees and the effects were always the same. It feels just like a mosquito bite in a few minutes. I have a small bottle of white vinegar in the shed and garage for that reason. Also have a small vial of it in my golf bag and last year had the occasion to use some, got a nice phone call thanking me for a painless bite he had received on the course. About as week ago was picking some blackberries and got stung by a wasp and with the same results. It really is a simple stopper for those nasty bites.

  • [NAFEX] Bee Bites, Ray Kaminski, 08/19/2003