nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: frozen cherries & climbing mushrooms

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: frozen cherries & climbing mushrooms
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:35:22 -0400

rmelrose@bluemoo.net wrote:
The weight of opinion seems to be coming down on the squirrels as mushroom
transporters. By the way, they behave as though I am a war criminal, with
some reason (story suppressed for the moment), so I shall not hold it
against them.

Not sure about your particular case, but I can vouch for squirrels taking mushrooms up into the trees and wedging them in to dry for later eating. I first noticed this behavior when I was living on Pike's Peak in Colorado. I would throw wormy mushrooms and stems out the side door of the cabin and kept noticing that they would vanish. So I continued this and started watching. The funny part is that any time there would be a strong windy period during the winter, it would rain mushrooms. They were visible against the snow. There would be a feeding frenzy and many would also be taken back up into the trees.