nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The Grape Grower

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The Grape Grower
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:33:30 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] The Grape Grower
MY personal favorite would be a tossup between Swenson Red (bred by founding NAFEX member Elmer Swenson) or a good muscat.  If you insist on seedlessness, Reliance and Interlaken are tops in that category, though the new Jupiter (a seedless muscat) is looking very good.  HOWEVER, it depends a lot on where you live - the amount of cold hardiness needed, disease pressure, etc.  People in the SE U.S. couldn't grow any of those grapes at all, and in the north, they might or might not need to protect at least some of those in winter.  That's why I wrote The Grape Grower, to give readers an idea of what to do in each locale and what grapes might work best for them.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com