nafex - [NAFEX] Re: [rarefruit] Re: Pineapple Plant From Supermarket

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: [rarefruit] Re: Pineapple Plant From Supermarket
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:40:55 -0500

The pineapple discussion is also going on on the rarefruit list, I couldnt resist forwarding this comment. What an image that would be...

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 02:01 PM, tabbydan wrote:

Now here's a whacked story I got from someone who used to work for
Dole in HI: She told me that on one occasion they sprayed an already
fruiting pineapple with ethylene and caused it to flower again.  The
result was: the base plant had a fruit growing out of it, and the
crown of that fruit ended up with a smaller fruit growing out of it!
Pretty wild!  I imagine with intensive feeding and this technique one
might produce several pineapple layers (nothing great in terms of the
fruit production since each successive fruit is smaller, but probably
pretty amazing and beautiful to look at- something to do in the
distant future when I retire).