nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mystery berry - can you help me identify this?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mystery berry - can you help me identify this?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:30:50 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Mystery berry - can you help me identify this?
I agree.  That could easily be Amelanchier.  There are several species here in Oregon and your description fits the genus very well.  Good thing you didn't chew the seeds, though.  Raw Amelanchier seeds have cyanide in them, like apple, pear and stone fruit seeds.  Just swallowed, the cyanide isn't released, and cooking renders it harmless.
-Lon Rombough