nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea buckthorn (revisited)

  • From: Hector Black <hblack@twlakes.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea buckthorn (revisited)
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:37:06 -0500

I tried grafting it to autumn olive - the grafts took but only lived for a
year or two. I grafted high which may have been a problem
By the way, I found that I had copied that book on sea buckthorn
"International Symnosium on Sea Buckthorn" Aug 23-25 1993. The part I
copied was in English - about 200 pages of presentations by mostly Russian
and Chinese scientists. Interesting to anyone curious about this plant,
quite thorough studies of everything from genotypes to machine harvesting,
chemical analysis of the fruit of various cultivars..
We found that adding sand to our soil which is not clay, but a fairly
decent loam, was helpful. But Japanese beetles love it.
I'm not sure how to share my copy of the book. I copied it several
years ago when I did two pages at a time, one side only, so that I had to
cut and then tape them back to back to make the book. It's not bound. Any
suggestions would be welcome.
Hector Black zone 6 middle TN