nafex - Re: [NAFEX] King david Apples

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] King david Apples
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:25:15 -0500

Jason MacArthur asked:
> I am wondering if anyone on this list has any experience tasting,
> growing or making hard cider from the King David apple. If so, what
> are your impressions? Thank you,

I tasted (actually gobbled like a pig) King David apples at the 1998 Fruit
Dabblers Apple Tasting at Univ. of IL at Springfield. I have my notes in
front of me, and I wrote: "Hint of sweetness with a very clean finish." I
rated it an 8.5 on a scale of 1-10. It was my third favorite after Suncrisp
(9) and Kinsei (8.7).

I believe the Vorbecks grow this apple and offer it in their Applesource
catalog. That means that the trees do well in Zone 5, where they are
located. Hopefully Jill Vorbeck will add some comments or others in the IL
apple belt.
Doreen Howard