nafex - Re: [NAFEX] kaki persimmon questions

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] kaki persimmon questions
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:38:37 -0500

You have the opposite experience to me. My Japanese persimmon trees drop
almost almost all of their fruit. My saijo is 4 years old and 10 feet tall
and still dropped most of it's fruit this year. I've budded a good
pollinator "chocolate" to a branch so maybe next year they all won't drop.
I've heard pollinated persimmon fruit don't drop as much. This year I budded
chocolate, brad sample,and honan red to my saijo tree. To my unknown variety
tree, I grafted fuyu, ichkekeijiro, suruga, hana fuyu, and giombo. My
neighbor's tree bears heavily, like 5 bushels every other year and still it
drops quite a high percentage of fruit.
Phil