nafex - [NAFEX] cheapo N tester

  • From: "Griffin Gardens" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cheapo N tester
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:47:48 -0500

Anybody care to cast a pro or con vote for the soil test meters that test for nitrogen, as sold by Leonard and Gempler? I use a lot of straw mulch so both trees and soil are using N and I never know what, if anything, is left. I am aware that the observed rate of growth is the most reliable gauge, but with fruit tree N application limited to once in spring here in our short MN season, there is a need to make a rush to judgement. This early judgement of  growth rate is complicated by the influence of cold and sunless weather and the residual effects of winter damage, and it would be helpful to have a little probe with a needle that pointed to H, M, L even if it wasn't accurate to 3 decimal points...as long as it doesn't tell the baldfaced lie.

Dave
zone 4a, where we're getting peach weather now, and they're still hanging on.

  • [NAFEX] cheapo N tester, Griffin Gardens, 06/15/2003