nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Grape Vines and Japanese Beetles

  • From: "Raby, Brian {D204~Indianapolis}" <BRIAN.RABY@ROCHE.COM>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Grape Vines and Japanese Beetles
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:38:34 -0500

I don't know if this would make null your effort to be organic, but I would think, as a thought to Integrated Pest Management (IPM) that you spray only those weeds that attract the beetles and leave the grapes alone.  I have read about, and have seen first hand, that the beetle are very attracted to Pennsylvania Smartweed (see picure attached). Learn to identify the weed and remove it before it attracts the beetle.