nafex - [NAFEX] Pears for the South

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pears for the South
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:47:30 -0400

Bad news is that pear trees may be sold mislabeled as 'Bartlett'. Good news
is that a rose is a rose by any other name, that is a so-called Bartlett
that produces may still be a keeper. Soft, aromatic, luscious European
pears can be grown throughout the south. Through resistant cultivars and
fireblight management, pears are dependable large fruit, in many ways easier
to manage than apples. I've not planted out any Bartletts, but wouldn't cut
down a bearing "Bartlett" either.

I'm displaying my own fireblight sensitivity: When I give workshops on
growing fruit, certain attendees continue to be surprised that ANY pear can
be grown in the south.

This link shows a range of fireblight sensitivity in Bartlett and other
pears, though Bartlett is rightly classified as 'highly sensitive". Granted
this is an Oregon study, but note the range of fireblight strikes in
Bartlett and Bartlett variants.
http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/tables/pearfireblightsus2.html

Richard Moyer
East Tenn