nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bradford pear seedlings as invasive species

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bradford pear seedlings as invasive species
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 07:55:26 -0400

> Ray, I saw the same thing as I traveled down I-95 near Baltimore this
>spring. There were thousands of trees with with blooms, and though I did
>not stop and examine them, I was sure that they were seedling pears,
>probably Bradfords. Most were in fields along the highway but many were
>out onto the "right-of-way". This is going to be a major problem in the
>near future.

When this subject came up briefly a year or so ago I cut down the 15 "wild"
pears growing in my pastures. They were very thorny, lot of flowers,
virtually no fruit that I could discern, up to 6 inches in trunk diameter.
I see several along other farm fields in the Spring.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC 27040
Hardiness Zone 7A