nafex - [NAFEX] Kaki Streaks and Problems

  • From: VBGarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Kaki Streaks and Problems
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 18:21:18 EDT

Thought I'd share the last email info from Clemson on the Kaki syndrome.  Sounds like its the Typical Sudden Death deal - no one really knows what or why.  If its not a virus that's good news, but I'm baffled about this idea that environmental stress would selectively kill one tree?  The black streaks in the tissue of the tree seem to be another debatable item.  Now I'll have to start peeling a few branches of healthy trees to make sure that this isn't just What Kakis Do.  Anyway, here's the last of the email discussion FYI for those others of you with Kaki persimmons.

>>>This streaking symptom is also seen in other stressed kaki trees which do not die from this decline. Thus, I believe these symptoms are NOT exclusively exhibited on trees with this fatal decline syndrome. The black streaks are likely depositions which I can't comment specifically on right now. All of my comments today have been observations with limited supporting data. For this reason, please do not pass my emails on to others as they may misconstrue the info as proven "fact". In addition, I struggle to handle the amount of inquiries I get now and do not have staff to help out. I technically am not paid to work on minor fruit crops thus I prefer to remain low key about these things. Hope your other kakis continue to do well.<<<

There you have it.  Hope someone somewhere is getting sunshine....

Sybil
in the mudpit that was formerly Virginia Beach strawberry fields.....

  • [NAFEX] Kaki Streaks and Problems, VBGarden, 05/23/2003