nafex - [NAFEX] Re: hardy blackberry

  • From: Judith Miller <paradisegds@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: hardy blackberry
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 08:14:17 -0700 (PDT)

Is there someone who can refer me to a berry identifier?  I was just given some exultantly large blackberry plants and would like a guess at identification.  They are homesteaders' plants from an abandoned farm so pretty old-- though this is a recently settled area--so perhaps pre-1930's; they are large, thick, thorny caned, stout stemmed and with fat buds on the runners.  My friend has had them 3 years and they only have run a little bit since she set them.  This is usda zone 4 over the long haul (thornless blackberries really take it in the neck even in a mild winter).

And while I am asking, would appreciate tips on culture of cloudberries (Rubus chamaemorus) which have germinated nicely from Russian seed this spring.

Judy in north Idaho where we just had 1/4 inch of rain--much to the delight of the robins & ducks.

Judith Miller
Paradise Gardens Rare Plant Nursery
Bonners Ferry Idaho USA Zone 4 Mintemp -25F (-31C)
http://www.rareplantnursery.net

  • [NAFEX] Re: hardy blackberry, Judith Miller, 05/02/2003