nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mortenson hard hardy grape

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mortenson hard hardy grape
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:51:40 -0500

A friend has a bearing vine of this. I just planted a cutting
The link has a picture of the fruit.

http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsauber/Muscadines.htm

From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] "Sour Chari" and "CKVL#1": Joe Brown
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:13:34 +0000

------=_NextPart_000_5036_6286_10ca

The first of the jan, joy...series I have bloomed so profusely and
beautifully that I am propagating some as ornamentals to go along our drive,
hoping I will also find the fruit useful, Del

------=_NextPart_000_5036_6286_10ca

<P><BR>The late Professor Elwyn Meader crossed two species of plums to get a
fruit that looks and tastes like a pie cherry, but on a bush only 6 feet tall
at maximum. The interesting part is that they ripen in August when all other
cherries are gone and the birds usually ignore them because at that time of
year their brains tell them to seek blue or black fruit. I imagine they would
be safe from cherry fruit flies because they are much later than the flies
are around, and being plums (technically) they might not be attractive to the
flies. </P>
<P>Lon:&nbsp; Did Professor Meader make the cross available commerically
and&nbsp; is it still available?&nbsp; Has any of our&nbsp; members planted
this cross?&nbsp; I have room&nbsp; in the orchard and would&nbsp;like to
give it&nbsp;a try in coastal zone 7.</P>
<P>Ward Barnes, Wake, VA</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>