nafex - Re: [NAFEX] White Champion Peach / Hal Berta Giant

  • From: kathryn stout <kathrynwrites@yahoo.com>
  • To: Sgroppino Farms <sgroppino@sgroppino.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] White Champion Peach / Hal Berta Giant
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:53:19 -0700 (PDT)

John-
I have Burbank July Elberta in Massachusetts. Also
Harcot. (Had a Harcot tree, 7 years old and bearing,
killed by burrowing woodchucks last year but planting
another one, this spring.)
I always think some year's winter is going to kill my
BJE peach. I planted it 'cause I had the same variety
in southern California. But why play it safe if it
means lesser flavor and quality. You can't buy peaches
this good around here because nobody is "fool" enough
to grow BJE commercially. The Stark's catalog said it
was hardy zones 5-9. I found out from Bill Mackentley
that meant it has a 50% chance of longterm survival in
Zone 5. Sooner or later there's a test winter--record
cold--that will kill it. But other people say peaches
all die in 15 or 20 years anyway. The point is, for
Massachusetts BJE is more of a gamble than Reliance or
even Redhaven or Madison..but?? It's such a good
peach. I think it's worth it. (though I'd try
Madison--said to be very hardy AND have excellent
flavor)
I'm amazed that somebody is growing Burbank July
Elberta in coastal Maine. Yet I see you're in Zone 5
too. Must be the coastal, gulf stream influence.
So far--after the incredibly cold winter of 2002-3--my
11 year old BJE peach seems to be alive. I saw signs
of fuzzy, swelling buds today (April 15). I guess it's
true what they say, if the tree hardens off well,
STAYS cold, and warms gradually it can take very cold.
Much colder than (Zone 9) California.
Good luck to you. I hope your trees thrive.
Kathryn
Zone 5, Massachusetts

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX

http://search.yahoo.com