nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Lichens on trees

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Lichens on trees
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 11:39:48 -0700

> I have heard that lichens don't harm trees but may indicate a poor
>> nutritional state. They are getting pretty bad on my walnut and apple
>> trees and are unsightly.

I get similar feedback on my beard sometimes. But I notice that in certain
weather conditions both function as terrific water condensors. Thus it makes
good sense to hear lichen names like "barba de palo" (treebeard)

They give the little insectivorous birds more places to check for lunch,
too.

-Rick