nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rubber constrictors

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rubber constrictors
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:36:12 +0000

Thanks Tanis, new product to me. I went to town to the biggest electritions outfit and was told " We haven't used that stuff in years" So I went to the local hardware store and found a 3M product (Temflex # 2155) 2 bucks for 3/4" by 22'. I'm impressed so far. It stretches beautifully and attaches very nicely to itself. Grafted a branch together and it looks like stronger support than any other method I have tried as well. Only thing I noticed is that it looks best to be sure the tag end is wrapped back on itself - as it only sticks to itself, not the branch. thanks for the tip, Del

Rubber electrician's splicing tape is RUBBER, slightly self-adhesive, wound on the roll with a plastic backing. You cut off a couple inches, peel off the backing, give the rubber a stretch, and wrap your graft. (I use just 2 long slanting cuts-- 1 on the scion, & 1 on the stock.) It holds snug and seals, if you wrap beyond the union's ends. It degrades enough w/in a growing season to not worry about it. (In several years, I think I had ONE fall off a little too soon, and ONE stay on a little too long !)