nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apricot

  • From: kathryn stout <kathrynwrites@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apricot
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 16:05:40 -0800 (PST)

Rivka-

I may have been too harsh on the question of
pollination--it was just from what I read, that
someone got fruit by grafting different varieties in
one tree and/or planting trees so close their branches
crossed. It sounds like your trees are at the kind of
spacing (I've read.) they're supposed to be at (I
believe it was in the Apricot interest group info that
there is no such thing as dwarfing rootstock for
apricot) and maybe Goldcot is a good pollinator for
the Harlayne?? 25' isn't an unreasonable distance for
pollination of other fruit trees. I also had another
reason to graft--I had room for only one apricot tree.
I expected, based on what I read, and on my experience
with apricot trees, that one tree alone would not
bear. I had one in CA that never bore at all, despite
being healthy otherwise. My Harcot tree here bore only
when it had the Goldcot blooming in it.

My trees are about 10' from each other, or maybe 12'
or so if I can stand it having a tree so close to a
road that the snowplow takes out a branch or two, in
the winter.
Sounds like Harlayne is the variety to plant--survives
neglect, has fantastic flavor. I just ordered another
Harcot (to replace one the woodchucks got last summer)
but I put Harlayne as an alternate. I might end up
with Harlayne.
Kathryn

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX

http://tax.yahoo.com