nafex - [NAFEX] High Quality Early Pears

  • From: "Dr. Ethan Natelson" <natelson@pipeline.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] High Quality Early Pears
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:54:38 -0500

Dear Richard,

What is early to you in Bristol, Tennessee, with many more chill hours
than I have, would be quite different to us in Houston, although we had 800
chill hours this winter. Southern Queen is of excellent quality, blooming
now, and seems to have total blight resistance. Tennessee is also in bloom,
and also has total blight resistance here. This was from U of Tenn breeding
program with Merricourt and Ayres, but never released. Florida 58-45 is a
large, blocky, totally russetted pear from Wayne Sherman that was not
released. It is blooming now. It is of excellent quality, with distinctive
red pollen, but does get some managable blight here. Southern Bartlett,
found by Travis Callahan, is currently in full bloom. It is medium to large
in size, and of good quality. As a young tree, it did have some blight but
this seems to have disappeared as the tree has gotten older and the pear
quality has also improved. I have many others in bloom now for the first
time that were collected by Lee Sharp in Louisiana and Miss. and some of
these might be winners - all are early bloomers by any standards.

Regards, Ethan

  • [NAFEX] High Quality Early Pears, Dr. Ethan Natelson, 03/11/2003