nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Organic Fireblight Treatment

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Organic Fireblight Treatment
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:27:42 -0600

At 10:38 AM 3/10/2003 -0500, Tom wrote:

What is the science behind the zince fertilizer? I hope the horticulturist mentioned it.

Tom,
Here's some info on Zn for pecans, from TAMU's webpage on pecan production in the home landscape:

Zinc

"Frequent zinc sprays are essential for rapid tree growth. Trees deficient in zinc usually have small, weak leaves, highly branched (rosetted) twigs at shoot tips and, in severe cases, dieback of twigs and branches. During the first 7 years, trees grow best if foliar sprays of zinc are applied at least every 2 weeks throughout the growing season of April through early August. If the trees are not growing, reduce the spray frequency. Spray mature trees with zinc at least three times between bud break in late March or early April and early June. Zinc is needed primarily by young expanding leaflets. Leaflet expansion on mature trees usually stops by mid-June. Two of several choices of zinc materials to spray are:

Zinc nitrate is formulated as a liquid. Use 2 to 4 teaspoons per gallon or 1 to 2 quarts per 100 gallons of water.

Zinc sulfate is formulated as a powder. Use 2 teaspoons per gallon or 2 pounds per 100 gallons of water. UAN liquid fertilizer (32-0-0) can be added at a rate of 1 quart per 100 gallons of the zinc sulfate solution to improve penetration of zinc into the foliage. Zinc sulfate spray can cause leaf burn on other trees in the home landscape, especially peaches, plums and other stone fruits. Zinc sprays are most effective if applied early or late in the day with little or no wind. The higher humidity under these conditions allows longer wetting and more zinc absorption. Zinc sprays pose a minimal hazard to man and animals, yet care should be taken not to contact the spray directly. Zinc sprays are not likely to stain sidewalks, houses, cars, etc.

These zinc materials can be mixed and sprayed in combination with most chemicals labeled for insect and disease control. Consult Texas Agricultural Extension Service publication L-1140 Homeowner's Fruit and Nut Spray Schedule for recommended combinations."

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homefruit/pecan/pecan.html

My dad is a big proponent of using Red Devil Lye to promote better nut production on pecans, though he just sprinkles a box on top of the ground, all around the drip line. I pooh-poohed the idea initially, but maybe I need to re-think it.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY