nafex - [NAFEX] Lizards and Olive Trees

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Lizards and Olive Trees
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 13:52:14 -0500

A local name for the skink with a blue tail is "scorpion". The only
lizards I know of here are the fence lizard and the skink.
In Hawaii we had chameleons on the window screens and they made a weird
noise. Plenty of insects for them to eat there. One lizard in the
Philipines makes a noise which can be mistaken for the curse F---- You.
Don't know which one, we just called it the F---- You Lizard.
Tarantulas should be good for a few insects' demise. The one in my
toxicology lab ate a fence lizard I placed in her jar.
Speaking of olives; I heard that the first place they were grown in the
US was San Diego, CA. In Santa Ana, some streets are lined with a type
of olive trees which drop little olives on the sidewalk and make a big
mess. I tried to eat one, but it was bitter. I heard that all of them
had to be cooked before they are palatable.
I was "awarded" a Russian Olive sapling by a rip-off "plant a tree"
organization for sending them a donation. It didn't survive a winter in
the "Garden State" neither did the "plant a tree" organization. After
planting a few "hardy" pecans there and surviving a winter or two (which
the "hardy" pecans didn't) I left the "Garden State" and all their
cranberrys and blueberrys and beautiful tomatoes. They got another 6
inches of snow yesterday while I was fishing.
The Daffodils are blooming and the Lilacs are budding out. Now anyone
know where I could get a locker box full of chameleons?
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Lizards and Olive Trees, LONGDISTSHTR, 03/01/2003