nafex - [NAFEX] Asian Pears

  • From: "Griffin Gardens" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Asian Pears
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:53:2 -0600

3] Are Asian pears grown as far north as Massachusetts?  Do you feel they are less/as much
as/more worth growing than european type pears?

I had a taste of fruit last year in the second leaf from Chojuro and Shinseiki on OHxF 333. This is  in zone 4a after a zone 6 winter, and I may never get them again, but I hope I do. Shinseiki is like crispy watermelon when ripened on the tree - no resemblance to the grocery store variety, which belong in the potato bin.

Asians seem like a good risk in the north, as they are vigorous and precocious so a couple of mild winters will produce fruit. After a real winter, all you need is a live stub remaining under the snow to re-grow true to type suckers. I have Housui as a one year old and Korean Giant coming in this spring. I might not have a long enough season for K.G., but it is supposed to be a little hardier than the rest - we'll see.

Dave in central MN