nafex - Re: [NAFEX] citrus from seeds

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] citrus from seeds
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:48:10 -0500

Donna, are you looking for zone 8 sites, or sone 6-7 sites?

Ginda

On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 01:01 PM, <redherring@tnaccess.com> wrote:

Would anyone like to try the pummelo seeds I got in Winter Haven?  There will be seedlings among them with the nearby citranges as the pollen parent.  They need to be grown somewhere too far north for citrus, but no further north than Z 8.  I have several hundred.  I did this the last time about 9 years ago, and Paul Heffler contacted me to say that he had 3 hardy trees from his batch and one had cropped this year.  The fruit was sour, and probably underripe, but the trees are what are important.  I want to get some 1/4 trifoliate trees that are as hardy and 1/2 tifoliates.  Also, I didn't manage to get there, but hope to get some seeds mailed to me from Monticello FL (any NAFEXers down there?) so we could grow out some 1/2 trifoliates as hardy as full trifoliate.  It's just a matter of getting enough zygotic seed and growing them out and letting some Z6-7 winters kill off the non hardy ones.  Donna