nafex - [NAFEX] strawberry history article

  • From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] strawberry history article
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:14:35 -0600

I've been busily studying obsessively on roses, seeing as I got cuttings of
30 new varieties while in Florida in Jan, but now I am getting back to
practical things like what kind of strawberries I want to plant. Locally I
can buy Delmarvel and Allstar very cheaply, but I did that 2 years ago, and
my plants died out quickly, whereas the same plants picked up for my my
neighbors did great. I think they planted on a ridge, whereas I planted
flat. My previous strawberry planting was on a slope, it was Earliglow and
some unknown variety I dug in an abandoned garden, and we got berries for 4
years out of that planting. So maybe drainage problems killed my plants
last time. The soil should have been much better than it was on the first
planting. Seems like strawberries and peaches are about the only fruits
that really like our soil just the way it comes.
Anyway, I thought some of you might like this article I came across:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/pgdic/Strawberry/book/bokten.htm

  • [NAFEX] strawberry history article, redherring, 02/07/2003